|Restricting access to the Workgroup Management System
|Article ID ||9|
|Article Type ||Procedures / Documentation|
|Product ||NetResults Tracker|
|Oldest Version ||5.0|
|Newest Version ||Latest Release|
|Publication Date ||09/16/2003 11:13:51 AM|
|Last Updated Date ||07/15/2010 01:00:34 PM|
|This article does not apply to NetResults Tracker Online (NRTO) installations.|
|This procedure provides information for restricting access to the Workgroup Management System (WMS).
When installing Tracker, the Workgroup Management System (WMS) is set to allow remote access by default (Versions earlier than 5.5.0 allowed the user to select local or remote access during installation). Remote access to WMS allows a user to access WMS from any machine as long as he or she can provide credentials for a Windows user with local Administrator rights on the machine where Tracker is installed. You have the option to configure WMS so that it can only be accessed locally (from the machine where Tracker is installed).
To set up WMS so that only Local Access is allowed, use the steps below:
For IIS 5.0 or 6.0:
For IIS 7.0 or 7.5:
- Launch IIS Manager
- In the web site where Tracker is installed, find the application called ptadmin, right click on it and select Properties
- Click on the Directory Security tab
- In the section "IP Address and domain name restrictions", click on the Edit button
- For the option "By default, all computers will be:", select the radio button for "Denied Access"
- Click on the Add button to add an exception (IP Addresses that will be granted to WMS)
- For "Type", select "Single Computer", then enter the IP Address "127.0.0.1", then click OK
- If there is an IP Address assigned to the web site where WMS (ptadmin) is installed, repeat the above steps to add the IP Address of this web site to the list of exceptions that are allowed to access WMS
- Click OK to save the changes to the IP Address and domain name restrictions
- Click OK to dismiss the ptadmin Properties dialog
- Restart IIS so the changes will take effect
After performing the above steps, WMS can only be accessed from the machine where Tracker is installed. Instructions for logging into WMS are detailed in the Logging In Section of the WMS Help Guide.
- Launch IIS Manager
- In the Connections pane on the left, expand the server, expand Sites, locate the web site where Tracker is installed and expand it
- Click on the ptadmin application
- In the "Features View" pane in the center, double click on the IP Address and Domain Restrictions icon
- In the Actions pane on the right, click on the "Edit Feature Settings" option
- For "Access for unspecified clients", select "Deny" and click OK
- In the Actions pane, click on the "Add Allow Entry"
- Select "Specific IP Address" and enter "127.0.0.1"
- If there is an IP Address assigned to the web site where WMS (ptadmin) is installed, repeat the above steps to add an Allow entry for the IP Address of this web site